Expert Witness & Failure Analysis Specialists
areas of expertise
For over 30 years, Gilmore Engineers Pty Ltd has been a leader in the investigation and analysis of accidents and failures. We are one of only a few consultancy groups in the world specialising in failure analysis. We provide services to the legal profession; corporations, insurers and individuals. Typical failures include machinery or system failures resulting in property damage, personal injury or loss of life.
Specific services include acting as an expert witness in a Court of Law; analysis and redesign of failed components; experimental testing; design auditing; Finite Element Analysis (FEA), eg material stress analysis; Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD); material testing; corrosion analysis; fire investigations and the auditing of safety standards.
Further services include the analysis of motor vehicle accidents to establish the probable cause; forensic analysis to assist with criminal investigations such as arson and murder; Intellectual Property defence support (copyright and patents); product liability reviews and experimental testing
- Expert Engineering Opinion with a comprehensive report
- Over 1500 Expert Witness Reports have been prepared over the past 30 plus years.
Motor vehicle accident analysis and reconstruction, of incidents involving a single vehicle or multiple vehicles, including passenger cars, prime movers and trailers, trucks, motorcycles, marine vessels or buses.
- Pre-incident speed analysis
- Head-on impacts
- Vehicle rollover
- Skidmark analysis
- Headlight and tail light on/off analysis
- Pedestrian impacts
- Determination of seat belt use
- Stopping distances calculation
- Position of vehicle pre-impact
- Motorcycle and Bicycle impacts
- Tyre, suspension, brakes, steering and other component failures
Inspection and root cause analysis of significant machinery failures and cracking.
- Large engines – trucks – plant – marine vessel
- SAG mills – cracks – bearing failures – design audits
- Drill rigs
- Rock hammers
- Haul trucks
Cranes, Elevating Work Platforms (EWP) and lifting equipment failures and root cause analysis.
- Crane dropping load
- Mobile crane crashes
- Crane collapse
- Injuries and fatalities
- Operator error
- EWP collapse
- Failing from EWP bucket
- Lifting equipment failures
Occupational health & safety, a system of work assessments and investigation and analysis of injuries and fatalities from;
- Workplace incidents
- Cumulative trauma disorders
- Slip & falls
- Crushing impacts
- Amusement rides
- Noise and vibration effects
- Ladder failures
- Swimming injuries
Review and assessment of IP claim, including patent and copyright disputes.
- Fish harvesting machine patent
- Industrial conveyor belt system
- Heavy haul trailer design copyright
- Heavy vehicle suspension performance patent
- Building product patent infringement
- Sunshade and umbrella patents
- Playground products
- Engineering comparisons of technology
- Vehicle equipment patents
Building, machinery and motor vehicle fires & explosions. Analysis and ignition source identification.
- Crane engine fire
- Gas well explosion
- Excavator fire
- Underground mine explosion
- Hotel/backpacker fire
- Car engine fire
- Arson investigations
Consumer and industrial product analysis, testing and assessment of compliance with standards.
- Swimming pool heating system
- Industrial steam boiler
- Furniture failures
- Angle grinder
- Drills and drill presses
- Ladder failures
- Kitchen appliances
- Curling iron
Helicopter and Aeroplane accident reconstruction and analysis of component failures.
- Helicopter bearing failure
- Aeroplane engine failure
- Helicopter drive train failure